What are the benefits of eating coconut during pregnancy?
There is no scientific research available to get the perfect answer for this question. According to one PUBMED study, coconut oil can cause weight loss for newborns (1).
So, more research is required to find the actual benefits of coconut oil or coconut milk during pregnancy. However, women may get normal coconut benefits during pregnancy.
These are described below. Please note that all of these benefits require more scientific evidence to be confirmed. These benefits may or may not work for pregnant women.
Coconut benefits during pregnancy
Coconut milk benefits during pregnancy
- Coconut milk may provide heart benefits by lowering LDL cholesterol levels
- Medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs) of coconut milk may aid in weight loss
- Calcium components of coconut milk may help to improve bone strength
- Coconut milk contains iron which is beneficial to prevent anemia
Coconut water benefits during pregnancy
- Water-rich coconut water helps to keep the body to stay hydrated for a long time
- Coconut water may work as an anti nausea smoothie for pregnant woman
- Coconut water may provide relief from constipation, gas, and heartburn
- Magnesium of coconut water may provide a healthy baby weight
- The calcium component of coconut water can improve the bone & tooth strength of the fetus
- Potassium-rich coconut water may reduce the chance of diabetes by controlling blood sugar
- Coconut water may detoxify the body during pregnancy
- Pregnant women and babies can get an immunity boost from coconut water
Coconut oil benefits during pregnancy
- Coconut oil may be used to prevent atopic dermatitis in both mothers and child
- Oil pulling using coconut oil can provide good dental health to a pregnant woman
- Coconut oil can be helpful to provide a small barrier (20%) from UV exposure
- Hair loss may be prevented by coconut oil
- Coconut oil may fortify the heart by reducing LDL levels
- Glycemic Index(GI) control during pregnancy is also possible by using coconut oil
When should I start drinking coconut water during pregnancy?
You can drink coconut water any time during pregnancy. However, one time per day is the best. It will prevent any adverse effects of coconut water.
The two best times to drink coconut water are mid-morning and afternoon. Normally stomach becomes half-empty during mid-morning and afternoon.
Due to this, there is no chance of any side effects especially gas-forming during these times.
How much coconut water should I drink per day during pregnancy?
1 cup of coconut water is enough. You should not drink more than 1 cup of coconut water per day during pregnancy. Excess intake may cause gas, diarrhea, and stomach upset.
Is coconut bad for pregnancy?
The answer to “is coconut bad for pregnancy” is both yes and no. It’s because of limited scientific research. Currently, we cannot conclude whether coconut is good or bad during pregnancy.
There are several health benefits of coconut. But no strong evidence is present as a small amount of research has been done.
One thing we can say is that coconut is beneficial but pregnant women may or may not reap these benefits. Both coconut milk and coconut oil may be good and harmful at the same time.
Does coconut water have side effects?
Yes, coconut water has side effects. The side effects of too much coconut water are gas, bloating, diarrhea, kidney damage, heart disease, and weight gain.
Not only that limited intake of coconut water may cause trouble to allergic people. These are itching, rash, nausea, and vomiting.
FAQ for Coconut During Pregnancy
Is coconut safe in early pregnancy?
More evidence and research are required to find whether coconut is safe or unsafe during early pregnancy. One research on mice shown that coconut oil reduces mass in babies when they are in the womb.
However, there are some benefits that are completely safe for pregnant women. Like hydration, presentation of cholesterol, heart disease by controlled intake of coconut.
We suggest a pregnant woman should follow her doctor. If the doctor says to take coconut then there is no bar.
Is coconut milk safe during pregnancy?
This is also a contradictory question. As we discussed above that a portion of a pregnant woman may get health benefits from coconut.
On the other end, the remaining portion of pregnant women is affected by coconut milk. It can do more harmless than benefits to them.
So, coconut milk is safe for only a small chunk of women during pregnancy.
Is canned coconut milk safe during pregnancy?
Same as the above question. Like fresh coconut milk, canned coconut milk may not be safe during pregnancy for some women.
Does drinking coconut water during pregnancy makes baby fair?
There is no evidence that drinking coconut water during pregnancy makes the baby fair. It’s a myth. You should avoid such fairy tales.