Watercress is a green vegetable that grows rapidly in wet soil. This leafy green vegetable is nutrient dense and provides several health benefits.
But is watercress keto? Can you have a watercress on keto? Well, watercress is very low in carbs and keto friendly. In fact, one cup of watercress contains less than half grams of carbs.
Why Is Watercress Keto Friendly?
Watercress does not fulfill the high fat criteria of the keto diet. However, watercress is inserted in keto vegetables chart because of its tiny carbs number.
Moreover, watercress is both low in total carbs and net carbs. That’s why the consumption of one cup of watercress will not break ketosis.
Is Watercress Low in Carbs?
Watercress is low in carbs. One cup of watercress contains 0.43 grams of total carbs. It also contains 0.17 grams of dietary fiber.
After deduction of the dietary fiber, the net carbs of watercress becomes 0.26 grams. So, watercress is not only low in carbs but low net carbs also.
Is Watercress Good for Keto Diet?
Low carb watercress is keto friendly and helps you to maintain your daily carbs limit. This makes watercress a good choice for the keto diet.
Moreover, watercress is a powerhouse of useful nutrients. These nutrients provide a wide range of health benefits like
- According to studies, consumption of watercress helps to improve carotenoid concentrations. Because of this watercress reduces the risk of cancer by decreasing DNA damage (1).
- Watercress is a rich source of phytochemicals that helps to boost immunity (2).
- Watercress contains pigments like carotenoids and chlorophyll. The antioxidant activity of these pigments can prevent cancer and cardiovascular problems (3, 4). Moreover, these carotenoids aids in the reduction of aging-eye diseases and free radical reactions (5).
- Watercress promotes antihyperlipidemic and antidiabetic effects. Studies have shown that consumption of watercress leaves can reduce hyperglycemia and dyslipidemia complications associated with diabetes (6).
- Keto diet and blood pressure and keto and indigestion are interlinked. Watercress can also helps to prevent not only high blood pressure and digestive issues but also asthma, arthritis, cough, catarrh of the respiratory tract, bronchitis, diuresis, influenza, scurvy, and tuberculosis. (7).
How Many Watercress Can You Eat on Keto?
One spring of watercress contains 0.03 grams of total carbs and 0.01 grams of dietary fiber. To stay in ketosis you need to consume no more than 30 grams of net carbs per day.
So, you can easily eat 10 to 15 no watercress on keto. These will add only 0.2 to 0.3 grams of net carbs to your keto diet which is extremely beneficial for reduced carb intake.
What Is The Best Time to Eat Watercress on Keto Diet?
You can eat watercress at any time as it does not create harm to your body. In fact, nutrient rich watercress helps to maintain a healthy life.
Watercress can be eaten raw or cooked. It can be added with salads, side meals, and smoothies. You can combine these delicious and healthy dishes with your breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
Watercress Nutrition Facts
Watercress is a great source of vitamins like B1, B2, B3, B6, E, and C. Moreover it also contains calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, copper, zinc, etc.
100 gram serving of watercress provides 11 calories contains the following nutrients.
- Protein: 2.3 g
- Fat: 0.1 g
- Carbohydrate: 1.29 g
- Fiber: 0.5 g
- Sugar: 0.2 g
- Calcium: 120 mg
- Iron: 0.2 mg
- Magnesium: 21 mg
- Phosphorus: 60 mg
- Potassium: 330 mg
- Sodium: 41 mg
- Zinc: 0.11 mg
- Copper: 0.97 mg
- Vitamin C: 43 mg
- Thiamin: 0.09 mg
- Riboflavin: 0.12 mg
- Niacin: 0.2 mg
- Vitamin B6: 0.12 mg
- Folate: 9 µg
- Choline: 9 mg
- Vitamin A: 160 µg
- Vitamin E: 1 mg
- Vitamin K: 250 µg